1.Choose a topic for your page
- You can also choose a subcategory to make make your page topic more specific.
2. Choose a layout style that best suits the purpose of your page
3. Choose a theme for your page
- This can be changed later on (see the tutorial page – ‘Changing Your Theme’)
4. Choose a domain name for your page
5 tips for choosing your domain name
- Professional – your domain name will be the first thing people see when they access your site. It should give out the right impression.
- Spelling – make sure your domain name is correctly spelled. Not only does bad spelling look unprofessional, it will also make it difficult for your page to be found via search engines.
- Length – keep it short, easy to type and easy to remember.
- Keywords – help people find your page and know what it’s all about.
- Avoid – numbers to prevent visitors mistyping them (i.e. thirteen or 13) and special characters such as hyphens that can be misplaced or forgotten.
5. Pick a plan
- The WordPress free plan is suitable for most basic users to get started.
- You can pay for subscriptions to different plans access things like custom domain names and extra storage space.
- You can upgrade your plan at any stage.
6. Create an account
And you’re all done!